Sunday, November 2, 2014

Have you tried mulled wine?


I am not much of a wine drinker. I prefer my mojitos and martinis as I go out of control pretty quickly with 2 big  glasses of white wine. My partner and friends will vouch for all the tantrums I throw after a couple of glasses of wine. I don’t get wine and my knowledge about it is restricted to the merlots, cabernets and zinfandels. I fail to understand the difference between good wine and bad wine. And it is not that I haven’t tried. I have actually spoken to people who are really passionate about wine and tried drinking wine with them but my taste buds just don’t respond very well to wine. And lately, I drink wine only if I have cheese to go with it. Anyways to cut the long story short, I am very hesitant about trying new wines.
 

 

However I was in Gdansk a couple of months ago and it was really cold and I wanted something warm to drink. So we decided to give mulled wine a try.  I wasn’t too excited about it but I desperately needed something warm. And the mulled wine completely took me by surprise. I simply loved it and I can’t wait to have it again. It was a hot wine with flavours of cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, ginger and cloves. And it is topped with a sliver of orange to add a bitter kick. I know you are probably thinking about a cider but it isn’t exactly like a cider. Take your time to smell the spices, then take one sip and you can taste the wonderful combination of bitter wine with spices. It is pretty high on its alcohol content too. I haven’t seen many places serving mulled wine in America. However, it is a pretty popular drink in Europe and every country has its version. It is supposed to be a traditional drink during winter especially around Halloween and Christmas.

So to all wine drinkers and non-wine drinkers, I highly recommend mulled wine this holiday season.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment